Walking is the least expensive way to get around, is pollution-free, and is great exercise. Connect with your community, stop and smell the roses, and slow down.
- If you can’t walk all the way to work or to the store, why not think of driving part-way and walking the rest of the way?
- How many times do you get in a car to go somewhere that is less than ½ mile away?
- Take a few extra minutes, walk, and help yourself and the planet.
Bicycling benefits and tips!
Biking is becoming a more popular exercise. Cycling is a healthy exercise that can be enjoyed by people of all ages, it is a low-cost, convenient way to get around, do errands, and spend time with a friend or family. Why not take time to stay active?
Tips on Getting A Bicycle:
- Ask around: Don’t be surprised if a friend or family member has an unused bicycle that might fit your need!
- Local bicycle shops offer many options, or try Utica Craig’s List, you could also subscribe to Utica Freecycle.
- Utica Bike Rescue:promotes bicycling as an effective and sustainable form of transportation and as a cornerstone of a clean, healthy, and safe communities. They provide refurbished bicycles, bicycle safety, and bicycle maintenance programs in a variety of ways, focusing on children, students, refugees, and households with lower incomes. Check them out at uticabikerescue.org
Key Safety Tips
- A helmet is essential protection for all bicyclists; riders 13 and under are required by law to wear a helmet.
- Adults should ride on the right side of the road with traffic unless on a bicycle path, and follow the rules of the road. Obey all stop lights and signs, and steer clear of vehicle blind spots and opening car doors.
- Always wear bright, reflective clothing, and make eye contact with drivers at intersections. Bicycle lights and reflectors are required by law after dark.
Bicycle Resources and Links
http://www.pedbikeinfo.org/ The Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center (PBIC) is a national clearinghouse of pedestrian and bicycle information about health and safety, engineering, advocacy, education, enforcement, access and mobility.
http://bicyclesafe.com/ has tips on how to avoid being hit while biking.
http://www.bicycle-riding-for-boomers.com/choosing-a-bicycle.html Learn The Secrets Of Choosing A Bicycle That Is Perfect For You
www.UticaBikeRescue.org Utica Bike Rescue promotes bicycling as an effective and sustainable form of transportation and as a cornerstone of a clean, healthy, and safe community. They provide refurbished bicycles, bicycle safety, and bicycle maintenance programs in a variety of ways; focusing on children, students, refugees, and households with lower incomes.