Safety Message for Centro Riders
Waiting for the Bus:
- Arrive at the bus stop at least five minutes before the time shown on the schedule.
- Buses stop on every street corner where there is a bus sign or bus shelter. Bus shelters are installed to protect riders in cold weather, rain, and snow.
- Make sure the bus driver can see you next to the bus stop sign or within a bus shelter. Stand up in the bus shelter when your bus approaches so your driver knows that you would like to board the bus. The driver will discharge the passengers first and then you can board the bus.
- Check the front destination sign to be sure you are getting on the right bus. If you are not sure, ask the bus operator before entering.
Boarding the Bus:
- Stand 10 feet back from the road. Do not approach the bus until it comes to a complete stop.
- Always be prepared to board the bus.
- Do not board the bus until all passengers are off.
- Have exact change when paying your fare. After you have paid , find a seat and remain seated.
- If the bus has standing room only, move toward the rear of the bus to allow other passengers to board.
Riding the Bus:
- Keeps arms and hands inside the bus at all times.
- Large objects are not allowed on the bus, all belongings must be able to fit on your seat.
- Always stay behind the yellow or white standee line at the front of the bus.
- In the event of an emergency, notify the bus operator immediately and follow his instructions.
Exiting the Bus:
- Be careful, exit at the back door of the bus.
- Use good judgment, step 10 feet away from the side of the bus onto a stable surface.
- Never cross in front or behind the bus. Wait until the bus is ½ of a block away, then safely cross the street. Look carefully both ways, and then cross.
- Remember that other vehicles are not required to stop when a Centro Bus is boarding or discharging passengers.